Congratulations on the birth of your child! The Parish Community shares in your joy. Thank you for wanting to have your baby join the family of the Church through Baptism. By asking for your baby’s Baptism, you are publicly thanking God for His gift to you and making a commitment to bring up your child in the Christian faith. We will help you carry out your decision by giving you our wholehearted support.
Baptism Arrangements St. Patrick’s Parish
INFANT BAPTISMS are normally celebrated in our Parish on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month at 12.30pm. A maximum of 4 children are baptised at each ceremony. Baptisms are primarily for families living in our Parish. In exceptional circumstances, baptisms are arranged for families living outside the Parish.
Request for Baptism Form
To arrange a Baptism, please complete the “Request for Baptism Form” and return to the Parish Office along with a photo copy of your child’s Birth Certificate. It is necessary to complete a Registration Form for the Baptismal Register which can be downloaded here: Baptism Form
Please call the parish office (01) 538 2542 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
At least 2 weeks’ notice is required.
Under GDPR regulations the information contained in this Form will be used to register this Baptism in the Parish. The Copy of the Birth Certificate you submitted will be destroyed once the Baptism is registered. The information in the Parish Register will be retained permanently. There is no charge for Baptisms, but it is customary for parents to make a voluntary donation according to their means.
Guidelines for Baptism
- Requests for baptism should be signed by both parents.
- A copy of the child’s birth cert should accompany the application form.
- The surname recorded on the baptismal form should always be the same as the name on the birth cert.
- A Baptismal Candle is required.
The basic requirement is that there is one Godparent (Sponsor). If there are two then one should be male and the other female. There are only two God-Parents.
In order for someone to be eligible as a godparent they must be chosen by the parents,
- have the ability and the intention to fulfil the role,
- be at least 16 years of age,
- be a confirmed Roman Catholic, who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist,
- is leading a life in harmony with the Catholic Faith and who will be a good role model for the one being baptized,
- be neither the father nor the mother of the child.
A baptized person who belongs to another Christian community may be admitted as a “Christian witness” (not a godparent) provided that there is at least one Roman Catholic godparent who fulfills the above criteria. A non-baptized person cannot be a witness (Code of Canon Law, cc. 872-874; Catechism of the Catholic Church 1255).
ADULTS requesting Baptism are required to undergo special preparation. For further information, please contact the Parish Priest.
If you have any further questions please contact the Parish Office.